Maintenance of the Bearings by Lubricating
You may use the following steps to maintain the bearings with the help of lubricants.
1. Clean before lubricating
How to clean the bearings
In some case, a bearing might have been replaced recently and even then the movement of the player rods are not smooth. This means that the bearings are needed to be cleaned. But note that it is not possible to clean one-piece snap-in bearings without removing the rods.
You may follow the below mentioned 2 methods to clean the bearings without removing the rods.
Method 1: Using tons of Lube method
- You must wipe the player rod dry with the help of a rug or a paper towel.
- Pull the player rod towards yourselves.
- Apply some good amount of lube on the rod.
- Spin or twist the rod as you push it away from you. This helps the lube to get into the space between the rod and bearings.
The lube will help cleanse the bearing as it will coat the bearings, moisten the build-up and will loosen some of the dirt or dust settled there. Repeat the steps depending on the amount of dirt and dust to be cleaned.
NOTE: Clean the rod and the bearings at the end again with a rug or paper towel. This will help us in not ending up with an excess lube spitting out onto the playing field.
If you find that this method is working for you, you can use the same steps for the other end of the rod and also for the other rods as well.
Method 2: ¼ inch sheet of paper trick
- Firstly, cut up a few sheets of paper into ¼ inch pieces which would be approximate of dimensions 4” x 5”
- Now wrap a piece of paper around the rod between the handle and the sidewall. You must wrap in such a way that one corner of the paper must point towards the bearing. Also, make sure that the piece of paper is wrapped very tightly to the rod.
- You can now carefully slide the rod so that the sheet of paper goes between the rod and the bearing. As you twist slowly, you will see that the corner of the paper acts similar to a scraper.
- Now slide out the rod slowly to find the dirt and dust having been removed.
- You may repeat the steps to get a great result.
WARNING: This method can complicate the cleaning if you are careless and get a piece of paper wedged between the bearings and rod. This might further slow down the movement of the rod.
You may follow the above mentioned two methods at frequent intervals to enhance the smooth movement of the rods.