Flipping the Coin
The sides for choice are set during the full course of the game. After the first round and a goal is scored, the team who the ball was scored on, gets to start the next round of play. This enables teams to have a fair advantage during the game and keeps the game flowing smoothly.
Time Keeping Rule during Play
- 3-man rod 15 seconds
- Goalie 15 seconds
- 10 seconds for 5-man rods
- A penalty for longer time play over 10 seconds, will give the other team the advantage of the play on their 5-man rod
This is because it takes away from the skills of playing and the challenge which it needs during a game. The only way of eliminating spinning is to ensure your hand is always on the handle. If the unforeseeable happens, then, you give up your right to the ball, which gives your opponent an advantage, as he will use this penalty with his 5-man rod.
A penalty for this as a first offense is to reposition the ball where it would have been if this illegal play had not occurred, or the ball to go to your opponent who will also use it with his 5-man rod. The second offense is a lot more severe, as your opponent will be able to play this penalty from his 3-man rod, which is a great advantage.
Distractions during Play
- Talking, and talking excessively loudly
- Movements which are caught in the opponent’s peripheral vision or definitely noticeable to cause a distraction during play
- Jumping in an excited manner or crazy way
With any distractions there are penalties. For the first distraction charge, the team will be given a warning, as deemed appropriate by the game official. (Officials may be appointed in home games if you so desire, to make playing more fun and structured) For a distraction that causes a goal to be scored, the goal will not be counted.
Basic penalties for distraction will give the opposing team the advantage of play, and they have the option to continue the game from the point of the distraction infraction.
Keeping Score as Foosball Rule
- Best game of 3 out of 5
- Best game of 2 out of 3
- A straight game for a 7 point score
Cursing or Using Indecent language
Dead Ball Foosball Rule
If the ball is a dead ball at the position between the goal and the 5-man rod; the ball is repositioned at the 2-man rod nearest the spot it went into a dead ball zone. The game is restarted by the call of the “official” word…”Ready! There are times when the ball is made intentionally dead during play by players and this will result in the control of play being given to the opposing team.
No matter what is done to affect a dead ball there are penalties, to ensure the game is played fairly so as to not lose your advantage.
Out of Play Foosball Rule
In International tournaments, there are many other rules which are in effect. The Officials are challenged to be very aware of these infractions and are able to make rulings against teams if they are not adhered to.
Listing of other Foosball Rules
- Proper Tournament Table and Playing men
- Proper fitting Handles are chosen by players of teams
- Serve and Ready Protocol of play
- Ball in play or Ball Off the table
- Calling Time Out and starting the game after Time Out
- Table Sides for Play
- Position Changes
- Reset Play
- Hands in Playing area during Play
- Pre-Match Practice
- Passing the Foosball Ball during Play
- Game delay
- Forfeiture of a Game
- Foosball Competition Dress Code